This year we are doing things differently for the Forma Gym Turkey Trot by making it a virtual race. We are as committed as ever to helping the people in our communities, and the need this year is unprecedented. Forma Gym has a long history of delivering a great race experience in the community and we want to keep the tradition alive in 2020.
For this year’s event, we are focusing on helping families get the food they need. We know that one in nine families in the U.S. suffers from food uncertainty, and we are hoping to make a difference for families in the Bay Area. As a virtual race, we have the ability to include our San Jose club in the fun. So this year, we will be raising funds for the Food Bank of Contra Costa County and the Second Harvest Food Bank of Silicon Valley. Both are incredible organizations doing good work to help people in our areas.
If you would like to skip the run portion and make a donation to one or both of the food banks, that would be wonderful and you can do that right on the race website – www.formaturkeytrot.com.
There are many ways you can help the food banks and I ask you to consider any or all below:
• Sign up for the Turkey Trot Virtual 5K/10K and get a cool T-shirt and sweet sticker.
• Form a team with family and/or co-workers and get them to sign up as well. This is a great way to have some fun in the Thanksgiving season.
• Promote the Turkey Trot to your customers, friends and relatives– send an email, encourage them to support the race with you.
• Like us on our Facebook and Instagram pages and share our posts with your followers.
For a virtual race, you sign up for a 5K, 10K, or 26.2, and you have all of Thanksgiving week to complete the mileage. You can do it all in one workout or spread it out over the week. When you’ve finished, go to the race website and log your distance. We will have a cumulative distance map to see how far we can get. No pressure, no getting up early on Thanksgiving (unless you want to, of course!) — just fun, a little exercise and an opportunity to support two great nonprofits.
• Check out the website and the cool T-shirt design
• Let us know if you would like to be listed as a sponsor
• Get yourself signed up and rally your friends to do the same
• Feel good you are helping others
If you have questions or thoughts, feel free to drop me an email at Ralph.Rajs@formgym.com.
This quote from Arthur Ashe captures very well the spirit of the Forma Gym team in trying to make a difference in our communities – “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.”
By Ralph Rajs, Forma Gym