The Bay Area Remodeling Awards were held via Zoom on November 18, 2020. Open to SFBA NARI, NARI of Diablo Valley and North Bay NARI chapter members alike, all of which represent the best remodelers in the Bay Area. Those individuals competed for awards in 40 different categories, the competition being rather fierce.
Gordon Reese Design Build is a proud 2020 Remmies awardee for Best Kitchen Remodel over $150,000. The project was a major transformation of a traditional 70’s California ranch-style home into a unified, open-concept kitchen, doubling as a marvelous entertainment centerpiece.
This project started with an existing uninspired ranch home complete with gaudy oak interiors and brash, contrasting wall colors. Our client was reluctant to invite guests over due to the home’s outdated interior, so Gordon Reese Design Build stepped in to create their dream space. The GRDB Design-Build team created a complicated structural solution to allow for the removal of walls that yielded an open-concept kitchen and bar area, connecting the kitchen to their media room; the traditional oak finishes were replaced with more modern transitional moldings to elegantly complete the look.
Here’s a list of things that were removed, replaced, or fixed by Gordon Reese Design Build team.
- Lack of counter space
- Outdated windows and underwhelming storage space
- Inconvenient cooktop location
- No backyard access for the client’s dog
- Limited guest seating
- Outdated tile countertops
- Overwhelmingly garish oak finishes
- Entertainment area isolated from the rest of the house’s layout
- Uneven flooring elevations
After Remodel: The Major Transformation
Here are the major changes made after the remodeling project.
- Luxurious space to cook and entertain guests
- A fully-integrated and open kitchen-bar area, made possible by installing a hidden beam that’s supported by two unexposed posts; this intricate framework supports two roofs and interconnecting beams
- Design highlighting a chef-style kitchen
- Oak trim finishings were replaced with modern transitional moldings
- Creation of a bar area, including built in wine refrigerator, beverage center and icemaker
- Better storage access with cabinet pull-outs for appliance storage
- More natural lighting and additional counter space at sink with newly-installed bay window
- Tile backsplash paired with white quartz slabs for countertops
- A dog door that allows pet access to the backyard
- Carefully integrated lighting includes recessed, pendant, above cabinet, under cabinet and toe kick to create the right atmosphere for every task, from cooking to entertaining
- Relocated doorway to ideal appliance locations
- Island peninsula located parallel to the cooktop offered seating for guests, as well as food preparation area
As 2020 comes to an end, Gordon Reese Design Build looks forward to transforming more homes in the upcoming year.
Are you inspired by this open-concept home project? You can kick off a fresh new year with a remodeling plan of your own. As one of the most prominent home remodeling companies in the Bay Area and a Remmie awardee, you can rely on superior service from Gordon Reese Design Build, including luxurious designs and building techniques that are customized for your home. Start your remodeling project today by calling (925) 885-3770.
By Gordon Reese, Gordon Reese Design Build, Resident since 2013